Miss Hill

// Steps (Taormina Cult)

19. Miss Hill

THE ANCIENT ART OF EMBROIDERY IN TAORMINA

The Hill family understood the potential of the growing tourism in Taormina and founded the first bathing facility on the marvellous beach of Isola Bella, boasting bungalows and pines.

The charming garden of the estate of the Hills, the ex Franciscan convent of Santa Maria di Gesù, today is property of the Franciscan nuns.

The History

MISS HILL AND THE ANCIENT ART OF EMBROIDERY IN TAORMINA

«I’m sending you two pieces of fabric, that are typical of Taormina. The local women make them, they spend all day sitting in the street, working on them. It is what the loom was for pagan women, Penelope or Fedra. Only while the pagan women stayed in the house in a room upstairs, these women stay sat together in the street, week after week, year after year». With these words, in 1920, David Herbert Lawrence sent his friend Amy Lowell some embroidery from Taormina that he had appreciated in the two years he had stayed in Taormina. Embroidery is – in Lawrence’s words – a social, sharing occasion, dominated by the almost solemn ritual and slow weave of the local women.
In Taormina, embroidery was a real business, capable of bringing in great earnings with international export running since the eighteen fifties. English philanthropist Miss Mabel Hill was responsible for starting up this business. She was the daughter of Sir Edward Hill and came from a family of rich Welsh shipowners who had moved to Taormina at the end of the 1800’s.
The tradition started by Miss Hill (1866-1940) with her “Embroidery School”, also known as “Miss Hill’s School of Lace” was continued by the Franciscan Missionary nuns.

Miss Hill arrived in Taormina in 1898 and she moved with her family into the ancient  Franciscan convent of Santa Maria di Gesù (built in 1221), already residence of vice British consulate to Messina,Sir Rainforth.
The business of Miss Hill’s embroidery school (who in her time had studied at the “Royal School of Needlework”), with the support of the Dutch diplomat resident in Taormina, Mr Alphonse Grandmont, would lead to the production of highly prestigious hand made products. Precious head scarves, vests and hats that were exported all over the world and became known in Sicily as “travagghi ‘nglisi”, or rather ‘the work of the English’. The techniques used were those of “drawn work”, namely needlework and cross stitch. Another branch of the embroidery school was soon created in Castiglione di Sicilia, a town not far from Taormina that was known for its ancient textiles tradition.
The colony of foreigners of Taormina, who had been arriving there since the end of the XIX century at that time appeared varied, so much so that its most coloured component inspired writer Robert Hichens, to write “La voce del sangue” (which then became a film), in which the two main characters were two foreign women, extravagant heiresses coming to Taormina looking for forbidden love. The majority of this community, were very active in promoting a committee that worked in helping the most needy of the local population.
The Hill family understood the potential of the growing tourism in Taormina and founded the first bathing facility on the marvellous beach of Isola Bella, boasting bungalows and pines.
The charming garden of the estate of the Hills, the ex Franciscan convent of Santa Maria di Gesù, today is property of the Franciscan nuns and is described in  the booklet “Gardens in Sicily” by Dorothy Glin, who was a guest in the house in 1911. It reads : «We walk slowly along the wide streets where multitudes of ants go back and forth quickly, tracing miniature motorways in the gravel; the sweet smell of wild roses hits us. On the uneven earth between the blades and the wall above the street, under the almond trees and cypress trees, there’s a marvellous explosion of flowers , tall cypresses and pines forming a splendid contrast with the light of the sky… our eyes and our minds are still full of the beauty that we left behind us».
Mabel’s mother was among the promoters of the London club “Friends of Sicily”, that organised a permanent exhibition named “Exhibition of Sicilian scenery”. On the manifesto of this club were the words: «The aims of this association are to spread our knowledge of the beauty of the land, of the arts and of Sicilian crafts and to help people to find the opportunity to sell their works».
Thanks to Mabel Hill, the Anglican church of St. George was established in Via Pirandello (not far from the modern cable car station), designed in 1922 by the architect Sir Inigo Triggs. In 1921 Miss Hill having sold her Taormina estate to the Franciscan nuns,  retired to live in her panoramic house in Guardiola Vecchia (right in front of the ancient convent), surrounded by peace and the beauty of the place that many years before she had chosen to call home.

MISS HILL UND DIE TAORMINER STICKKUNST

«Ich sende Euch zwei Stück Stoff aus traditioneller Taorminer Handarbeit. Sie werden von Frauen angefertigt, die den ganzen Tag zum Arbeiten auf der Straße sitzen; es ist  die gleiche Sisyphusarbeit wie es für die heidnischen Frauen früher der Webstuhl war. Bloß dass diese in einem Zimmer im oberen Stockwerk im Haus blieben, wohingegen die Frauen aus Taormina gemeinsam auf der Straße sitzen, Woche für Woche, Jahr für Jahr.» Mit diesen Worten schickte David Herbert Lawrence im Jahr 1920 seiner Freundin Amy Lowell einige Stickereien aus Taormina, die er in den zwei Jahren seines Aufenthalts in Taormina schätzen gelernt hatte. Die Stickarbeit bietet Lawrence zufolge eine Gelegenheit zur Förderung des Gemeinschaftssinns und des gegenseitigen Austausches, begleitet von den würdevollen und nahezu sakralen Ritualen des langsamen Handarbeitens der Frauen des Ortes.

Die Stickereien aus Taormina entwickelten sich zu einem regelrechten Geschäft und erzielten durch internationale Exporte bis in die 1950er Jahre große Gewinne. Die englische Menschenfreundin Miss Mabel Hill war die Tochter von Sir Edward Hill und stammte aus einer Familie wohlhabender gallischer Zimmersleute; sie zog Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts nach Taormina und baute diesen Produktionszweig auf.

Die von Miss Hill (1866-1940) mit der “Embroidery School” ins Leben gerufene Initiative, auch bekannt unter dem Namen“Miss Hill’s School of Lace” (“Miss Hills Stickereischule”) wurde von den Franziskanernonnen Missionarie di Maria fortgeführt.
Miss Hill war im Jahr 1898 nach Taormina gekommen und bezog mit ihrer Familie das alte, ehemalige Franiziskanerkonvent Santa Maria di Gesù (1221 erbaut), in dem zuvor schon der britische Vizekonsul in Messina, Sir Rainforth, gelebt hatte.
Mit Unterstützung des holländischen Diplomaten in Taormina, Mr. Alphonse Grandmont, brachte die Stickereischule von Miss Hill (die ihrerseits an der „Royal School of Needlework“ studiert hatte) Handwerkskunst von großem Wert hervor. Kostbare Tücher, Blusen und Hüte wurden weltweit exportiert und waren in Sizilien unter dem Namen “travagghi ‘nglisi” oder als englische Arbeiten bekannt. Die angewandten Techniken waren jene der „drawn work“, also Schlingstich und Kreuzstich. Bald wurde auch eine Niederlassung in Castiglione di Sicilia eröffnet, einem Ort unweit von Taormina mit langer Textiltradition.

Der Zuzug von Ausländern nach Taormina, der zu Ende des 19. Jahrhunderts begonnen hatte, musste zu jener Zeit sehr vielfältig erscheinen, zumal die „bunte“ Vielfalt den bekannten Schriftsteller Robert Hichens zu seiner Erzählung „La voce del sangue“ (die später verfilmt wurde) inspirierte; die Charaktere dieses Romans waren ausländische Frauen und exzentrische Erbinnen, die auf der Suche nach einer verbotenen Liebe nach Taormina kamen. Der Großteil der zugewanderten Gemeinschaft war allerdings sehr aktiv und fleißig dabei ein Komitee zu schaffen, das sich um die Unterstützung der hilfsbedürftigsten Schichten der lokalen Bevölkerung bemühte.

Die Hills erkannten das Potenzial des aufkeimenden Tourismus in Taormina und gründeten das erste Strandbad mit Bungalows und Pinienhain am wunderschönen Strand der Isola Bella.

Der bezaubernde Garten des Anwesens der Hills in Taormina, das ehemalige Franziskanerkonvent Santa Maria di Gesù, heute im Besitz der Franziskanerschwestern di Maria, wurde in der Broschüre „Gardens in Sicily“ von Dorothy Glin, die im Jahr 1911 Gast des Hauses war, beschrieben. Darin kann man folgendes lesen: «Wir gehen langsam die breite Straße entlang auf der Unmengen von Ameisen rasch hin- und herlaufen und dabei Autobahnen im Miniaturformat am Kies bilden; der süße Geruch von Wildrosen erreicht uns. Auf dem unebenen Untergrund zwischen der Mauer oberhalb der Straße und den Mandelbäumen und Zypressen unterhalb gibt es eine atemberaubende Vielfalt an Blumen … eine Gruppe hoher Zypressen und Pinien bilden einen wundervollen Kontrast zur Helligkeit des Himmels … unsere Augen und Gedanken sind noch immer überwältigt von der Schönheit, die wir hinter uns gelassen haben.»
Die Mutter von Mabel war eine der Unterstützerinnen des Londoner Clubs „Friends of Sicily“, der eine Dauerausstellung mit dem Titel „Exhibition of Sicilian scenery“ ins Leben rief. Auf dem Plakat des Clubs war folgendes zu lesen: «Zielsetzung dieser Vereinigung ist es, die landschaftlichen Schönheiten, die Kunst und das Handwerk Siziliens bekannt zu machen und den ortsansässigen Personen zu einer zusätzlichen Möglichkeit des Verkaufs ihrer Arbeiten zu verhelfen.»

Dank Mabel Hill wurde in Taormina die anglikanische Kirche St. George in der Via Pirandello (nur wenige Schritte von der modernen Seilbahnstation entfernt) nach den Plänen des Architekten Sir Inigo Triggs aus dem Jahr 1922 erbaut. 1921 verkaufte Miss Hill ihr Anwesen in Taormina an die Franziskanerschwestern di Maria und zog sich in das Haus in Guardiola Vecchia (genau gegenüber des alten Konvents) zurück; es liegt umgeben vom Frieden und der Schönheit jenes Ortes, den sie viele Jahre zuvor als ihr Zuhause gewählt hatte.

МИСС ХИЛЛ  И СТАРИННОЕ ИСКУССТВО ТАОРМИНСКОЙ ВЫШИВКИ

«Посылаю вам два куска ткани, это типичная работа Таормины. Ее выполняют женщины, которые целый день сидят на улице и работают. Это то, что представляло ткацкий станок для языческих женщин, Пенелопы и Федры. Единственное, что языческие женщины оставались внутри дома, в комнате наверху, в то время как эти сидят вместе на улице, неделя за неделей, год за годом». С этими словами, в 1920 году, Дэвид Герберт Лоуренс посылал подруге  Ами Лоуэлл  несколько таорминских вышивок, красоту которых он имел возможность оценить в течение двух лет своего пребывания в Таормине. Вышивка это, по словам Лоуренса, возможность для социального взаимодействия и общения женщин села, в которых преобладают почти иератические и священные ритуалы ткачества.

Таорминская вышивка была настоящим бизнесом, способным принести даже крупные доходы от международного экспорта,  до 50-х годов двадцатого века. Эту производственную деятельность начала английская филантропка мисс Мэйбл Хилл, дочь сэра Эдварда Хилла, выходца из семьи богатых галлийских судовладельцев, которые переехали в Таормину в конце 800-х годов.

Традиция, начатая мисс Хилл (1866-1940) с ее «Embroidery School», известной также как «Miss Hill’s School of Lace» (Школа вышивки Мисс Хилл), взяла начало от монахинь конгрегации «Францисканки Миссионерки Марии».

Мисс Хилл прибыла в Таормину в 1898 году и разместилась вместе с семьей в древнейшем бывшем францисканском монастыре Святой девы Марии (созданным в 1221 году), также резиденцией британского Вице-консула в Мессине, сэра Рэйнфорса.

Деятельность школы вышивки мисс Хилл, которая в свою очередь обучалась в «Royal School of Needlework», при поддержке голландского дипломата, проживающего в Таормине, господина Альфонса Грандмонта, привела к зарождению прикладного искусства высокой ценности. Великолепные шарфы, рубашки и шляпы будут экспортироваться по всему миру и будут известны на Сицилии как  “travagghi ‘nglisi”, или английские работы. Использовалась техника вышивания, которая называлась  “drawn work”, то есть острием иглы и крестом. Вскоре был создан филиал школы вышивки в Кастильоне ди Сицилия, деревне недалеко от Таормины, в которой сохранились древние текстильные традиции.

Колония иностранцев Таормины, которые поселились здесь в конце девятнадцатого века, была настолько разнообразной, что ее наиболее «красочные» представители вдохновили знаменитого писателя Роберта Хиченза написать рассказ “La voce del sangue” (Голос крови), по которому позже был снят фильм, героинями которого были иностранки, экстравагантные наследницы, которые приехали в Таормину в поисках запретной любви. Основная часть этого сообщества, однако, была очень активной и прикладывала много усилий по продвижению Комитета помощи нуждающемуся местному населению.

Семья Хилл хорошо понимала  потенциал зарождения туризма в Таормине и основала первую постоянную купальную зону на великолепном пляже Изола Белла, с бунгало и соснами.

Очаровательный сад таорминской усадьбы семьи Хилл, бывшего францисканского монастыря Святой девы Марии (в настоящее время принадлежит  францисканским сестрам Марии), описывается в книге “”Gardens in Sicily” (Сады в Сицилии) Дороти Глин, которая гостила в доме в 1911 году.  Здесь мы читаем: “Мы медленно идем по широкой аллее, где мириады муравьев быстро бегают взад и вперед, прокладывая автострады в миниатюре по гравию;  нас достигает сладий запах диких роз. На неровной поверхности между изгородью  и стеной над дорогой, под миндальными деревьями и кипарисами, возникает великолепная цветочная композиция … группа высоких кипарисов и сосен создают необыкновенный контраст с ярким небом…наши глаза и мысли все еще полны красоты, которая осталась позади».

Мать Мейбл была одной из подвижников лондонского клуба “Друзья Сицилии», который организовал постоянную экспозицию под названием «Выставка сицилийских декораций”. В манифесте этого клуба написано: «Целями этой ассоциации являются распространение знаний о красоте территории, о сицилийском  декоративно-прикладном искусстве, а также оказание помощи людям в поиске

дополнительной возможности продать свои работы.”
Благодаря Мейбл Хилл в Таормине на улице Пиранделло будет построена англиканская  церковь Святого Георгия (в нескольких шагах от современной канатной дороги), спроектированная в 1922 году архитектором сэром Иниго Триггсом. В 1921 году она продает свою усадьбу в Таормине  францисканским сестрам Марии и переезжает жить в дом с великолепной панорамой на Гвардиола Веккиа (прямо напротив старого монастыря), в окружении мира и красоты этого места, которое за много лет до этого выбрала как свой дом.

Map

OUR ROUTES

Historical places, houses, palazzi: all you should know about Taormina hidden stories.
Enjoying our tours, you will get a guidebook to cultural and historical places in Taormina.

TAORMINA CULT SHORT TOUR

by Ape Calesse

1 hr / 100 Eur

TAORMINA CULT FULL TOUR

by Ape Calesse

2 hr / 200 Eur

Book one of our tours by phone at +39 331 5900161